International Postdoc Resources
For general information on Duke, employee perks & benefits, public transportation & etc, see New to Duke/Durham, the Duke Postdoctoral Virtual Orientation, and Duke Benefits and Services Available to Postdocs.
Make an appointment for International Scholar Orientation with the Duke International Student Center.
If you have a concern about discrimination or harassment, please Report the Incident.
If you have a concern about research misconduct, please Report the Incident.
- Visa Status, Work Authorization and Info Sessions with Immigration Law Firms
- Moving to the US: Housing, Utilities, Transportation, etc.
- Postdoc Buddy Program
- Health Insurance
- Childcare and Local Schools
- English Language Resources
- Spouse/Partner Resources
Visit Duke Visa Services for:
- Questions about visa status
- Questions about work authorization status
- Traveling within and outside of the United States
- A list of the departmental liaisons who work with Duke Visa Services
Immigration Law Firms
- Duke University is liaised with a law firm, Ogletree Deakins, that provides reduced rates for Duke employees seeking Legal Permanent Residency (aka “green card”). To be referred to the law firm, email Dylan Sugiyama, Interim Director of Visa Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The National Postdoctoral Association hosts monthly webinars with the immigration law firm YZ Law Group LLP, specializing in EB1A, EB1B and NIW petitions. Register for a free webinar on US immigration here and/or contact YZ Law Group for a free evaluation at email@example.com
- Klasko Immigration Law provides free 15-minute phone consultations to employees of Duke University. To schedule a free consultation, visit https://www.klaskolaw.com/contact/
- The DUPA International Committee periodically hosts information sessions with immigration law firms for postdocs interested in applying for US permanent residency. These seminars are for members of the Duke international community who are interested in the legal process of US immigration. See the November 2022 info session recording with Ellis Porter, PLC.
- International Postdoc Survival Guide from the National Postdoctoral Association. Duke Postdoctoral Services is an institutional member of the National Postdoctoral Association, established to improve the postdoctoral experience by supporting research training and professional growth. Benefits include a career center, Individual Development Plan guide, and more. Register for your free Duke affiliate membership using your Duke email address.
- Duke Postdoc Services--Housing Info
- Duke International Student Center Living Essentials: Housing --Whether or not you are international, DISC has useful housing information, including a list of temporary housing options: see Housing section.
- Duke Off Campus Housing in Durham Resources, including video of 2023 Off Campus Housing Fair.
- General information on utilities
- General information on banking and credit cards from the Duke International Student Center: see Banking section.
- Duke University Federal Credit Union (DUFCU) is a non-profit financial cooperative; all Duke employees and their immediate family members are eligible to join DUFCU.
- WellsFargo has a Duke Medical Center branch.
Climate, Time, and Currency
Driver's License/State Indentification Card/Auto Information
- Duke Postdoc Services--Driver's License & Car Registration
- Information for New Adult Drivers from NC DMV
- Information on Obtaining an NC Driver’s License from the Duke International Student Center: see Automobiles section.
- North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles: Getting a Driver's License or State ID Card
- Information on Purchasing a Pre-Owned Car from the Duke International Student Center: see Automobiles section.
- Duke offers the GoPass to employees, allowing unlimited rides on select local transit systems for a small yearly fee.
- The free Duke Buses travel between Duke’s West, East, and Central campuses.
- Go Durham is the Durham city bus service.
- GoTriangle provides transportation between Chapel Hill, Durham, Hillsborough, and Raleigh.
- The free Robertson Scholars Express Bus travels between Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill during the academic year.
- The Duke Housing Map shows bus stops located near Durham apartment complexes.
Sign up for the Duke Postdoc Buddy Program, which helps new postdocs adjust to life at Duke by matching them with more experienced postdocs.
- Postdoctoral Associates--Health and Insurance Benefits Enrollment Info from Duke Postdoc Policy
- Postdoctoral Scholars--Health and Insurance Benefits Enrollment Info from Duke Postdoc Policy
- Duke International Student Center--Health Insurance information for Visiting Scholars (non-postdoctoral appointees)
- Duke HR--Medical and Dental Benefits
- General information on local childcare and school options.
- Durham Technical Community College offers free English as a Second Language (ESL) courses in Durham and Chapel Hill.
- Duke International Student Center English as a Second Language: see English as a Second Language section.
- Duke International Student Center English Language Club for Duke employees, students, and their spouses/partners.
- Toastmasters International is a great way to improve your spoken English and leadership skills. There are chapters based all over the Triangle, including three Duke chapters.
- Watch an NIH videocast of one of Duke's favorite speakers, Scott Morgan, on Improving Spoken English.
- The Duke Writing Studio meets with Duke faculty, graduate students, and staff on a space-available basis. These community members may schedule a maximum of five appointments. The emphasis of these five sessions will be to familiarize users with online and help-for-hire resources, workshop opportunities, and self-revision techniques. The Writing Studio also has a list of online ESL/EFL writing resources.
- The UNC Writing Center has online ESL resources and a list of editors, proofreaders, and tutors for hire.
- Duke International Student Center list of resources for the spouses/partners of Duke community members
- Many internationals wonder if they or their spouse/partner can get their 'foot in the door' by volunteering. While it may be possible, Federal law limits severely the kinds of employment an alien in temporary visa status may undertake in the US. Please see the Visa Services Volunteer Activities page for more information.
- Interstride is a interactive career platform designed to enhance the career exploration and job-search experience for international researchers. Duke University has a site license so that students and researchers may use Interstride. Sign in using your Duke UniqueID at https://www.interstride.com/duke
Office of Postdoctoral Services - Resources