Postdoctoral appointees are an integral part of the research endeavor at Duke University. The Office of Postdoctoral Services (OPS) is the central resource for postdoctoral appointees on campus, and serves as a liaison between postdocs, faculty, administrators, and staff. The OPS promotes postdoctoral training at Duke and prepares Duke postdocs for successful careers both within and beyond academia. Duke Postdoctoral Services works side-by-side with the Duke University Postdoctoral Association (DUPA) to address the needs and concerns of postdocs. The OPS also partners with the Duke Career Center, the Graduate School, and the Faculty Development Program in the School of Medicine to provide programming relevant to postdocs, grad students, and junior faculty.
- Guidance on postdoctoral appointments, policies, and benefits to postdocs, departmental staff, and faculty.
- Resources for Duke postdoctoral appointees.
- Individual career counseling (including resume, CV, cover letter, research/teaching statement critiques, and mock interviews) for Postdoctoral Associates and Postdoctoral Scholars.
- Email Molly Starback, Director, for an appointment.
- Professional development workshops.
- Information and referrals to Duke departments and organizations (eg, Visa Services, Ombuds, Payroll, HR).
- Career resource library, including the Duke Postdoc Services YouTube Channel of recent workshops.
Duke University Institutional Statement of Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Duke University benefits from a postdoctoral population that is diverse in culture, nationality, gender, age, race, sexuality, education, religion, socio-economic status, and life experiences including the challenge of access due to a disability. The Office of Postdoctoral Services is here to support all postdocs and promote a culture of inclusivity, compassion, and mutual respect.
Subscribe to the Postdoc Mailing List
Duke Postdoc Services email list provides information on upcoming professional and social events, job opportunities, and more. All members of the Duke community may join the mailing list using their Duke email address. To subscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: "subscribe postdocs"
The Office of Postdoctoral Services sponsors yearly awards to the Outstanding Postdoc and Outstanding Postdoc Mentor at Duke.
The Duke Office of Postdoctoral Services provides annually updated statistics on our postdoc population.