Request for Proposals
These funds are directed toward supporting nascent collaborative, interdisciplinary projects, with a preference for projects that include scientific research. The goals of this program are to enable faculty from multiple disciplines to initiate high-impact projects that could lead to additional external funding.
At least two Duke Co-PIs with primary faculty appointments in different schools (or divisions within Trinity). Collaborations that involve science are strongly encouraged.
Budget submissions should be in line with the project's scope. Budgets may request up to $100,000 with an award term of one year.
Funds may be used for salary/stipend and fringe of personnel (including PI, students, post-docs, technicians, etc.), equipment, travel, and/or consumables. Funding of collaborators outside of Duke will not be allowed.
- Title of project, name of PI, appointment information (current department or division, school, faculty title), date and title of first Duke faculty appointment, 5 keywords (will be used to identify proper reviewers)
- Up to 2 pages describing the project and should include:
- Where future funding for the project would come from
- Justification of why this project would be difficult to fund from other sources
- A plan to make substantial progress toward their aims within the one-year term
- A short CV or biosketch of up to 5-pages for each PI
- A one-page budget and budget justification
- All submitted documents must use a font size of 11 points
Applications will be reviewed by an internal committee, and will be judged on:
- Responsiveness to the RFA (ineligible applications will be returned unreviewed)
- Creativity of the proposal
- Potential impact of the proposal, if successful
- Potential for future funding
- One-page summary at the end of the grant period
- Out year queries to award recipients will be made to ascertain whether any external funding, papers, books, performances, etc. have derived from this award.
|RFP released||March 25, 2022|
|RFP deadline for submission||May 2, 2022|
|Anticipated grant notification||Prior to funds made available|
|Funds made available||June 10, 2022|
|Funds to be expended by||June 30, 2023|
Submissions closed on May 2, 2022, at 5:00 PM.
For any questions regarding your proposal, please contact Marnie Rhoads at email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
Only main campus, SOM, and SON faculty are eligible to apply. Duke-NUS and Duke-Kunshan faculty are not eligible.
The two-page proposal maximum does not include references.
The budget, CV, and two-page proposal must be formatted using an 11-point font size.
You may include videos and hyperlinks in the proposal.
If there are only two faculty on a proposal, we require that each has a primary faculty appointment from a different school (or division within Trinity). If there are three or more faculty on a proposal, we require that a minimum of two schools are represented in the primary faculty appointments of the PIs.
This is an internal award and will not require an SPS record to support the submission.
No, it is not necessary to include overhead in your total budget.
All costs are to be covered by the award amount. This is an internal award.
Although this program does not have a faculty effort requirement, applicants should follow their school's guidance around minimum effort on sponsored projects and satisfy a standard of reasonability for their Other Support documentation.
All review committee members will be subject matter experts.